Beautiful Castles in MichiganUnited States of America
Did you know there are many beautiful castles in Michigan? Presented here are 19 castles in Michigan and many of them are open to the public and are great places to visit. A number of the castles are located in Detroit where great wealth was created by the automobile industry. Other castles are located on college campuses in Michigan including a castle that is one of the 10 Largest Homes in the United States. Michigan is a state with a great rich history and the castles in the state are a part of that rich history.
Law Quadrangle Castle at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor
The Law Quadrangle Castle is located on the campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and serves as the home of the University of Michigan Law School. The castle was built in the 1920's and 30's using funds donated by William Cook.
Eighth Precinct Police Station in Detroit
The Eighth Precinct Police Station in Detroit is located at the corner of Trumbull Street and Grand River Avenue at 4150 Grand River Avenue. This castle-like building was built in 1901 to blend in with the expensive homes in the area. Today the building is owned by the Phoenix Group an urban renewal property management group.
Castle Museum in Saginaw
The Castle Museum is located at 500 Federal Ave in Saginaw, Michigan. This castle was built in 1898 as a post office and was twice almost demolished as the city grew and needed a larger post office but both times the uproar was so great the castle was left standing. Today the castle is owned by the Historical Society of Saginaw County and is open to the public for tours with a very minimum fee.
Curwood Castle in Owosso
Curwood Castle is located at 224 Curwood Castle Drive right in the heart of Owosso, Michigan along the banks of the Shiawassee River. Curwood Castle was built by novelist James Oliver Curwood in 1922 as a writing studio. Today Curwood Castle is owned by the city of Owosso and open to the public for tours as well as available to rent out for weddings and special occasions.
Castle Farms in Charlevoix
Castle Farms is located at 5052 Highway 66 in Charlevoix, Michigan. Castle Farms was built in 1918 by Ernest Loeb the President of Sears Roebuck and Company. Loeb immediately opened Castle Farms to the public and used the place to showcase farm equipment he sold through the Sears Roebuck catalog. Today the castle is owned by Linda Mueller and is open to the public for tours as well as for weddings, corporate events and special occasions.
Upper Peninsula Brewing Company Castle in Marquette
The Upper Peninsula Brewing Company Castle is located at the corner of Meeske Street and US Highway 41 in Marquette, Michigan. The castle was built as a home and office in 1894 by Charles Meeske the President of the Upper Peninsula Brewing Company and originally included other castle like buildings nearby that housed the actual brewery. Meeske had a tunnel built under the house so he could visit the brewery at night which was against the law at the time. Today the home is all that is left of all the castle buildings.
Hecker Castle or House in Detroit
Hecker Castle or House is located at 5510 Woodward Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. The 49 room 21,000 square foot Hecker Home or Castle was built in 1888 by Colonel Frank J. Hecker who made his fortune in the railroad supply business. Today the Hecker Castle is owned by a law firm which operates out if the building and it also is home to the Royal Danish Consulate in Detroit.
Newberry Hall Castle in Ann Arbor
The Newberry Hall Castle is located at 1150 Beal Ave in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the campus of the University of Michigan. Newberry Hall Castle was built in 1890-1891 and today is home to the University's Kelsey Museum of Archeology.
David Whitney Castle or House in Detroit
The David Whitney House Castle is located at 4421 Woodward Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. It was built in 1894 for lumber baron David Whitney, Jr. and contains 52 rooms spread out over 21,000 square feet. Today the David Whitney House Castle is home to a restaurant and is also open for public tours.
Old Main Castle at Wayne State University in Detroit
The Old Main Castle is located at at 4841 Cass Avenue on the campus of Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. The Old Main Castle was built in 1895 and today is home to the colleges of Liberal Arts and Sciences of Wayne State University.
Michigan Union Castle in Ann Arbor
The Michigan Union Castle is located on the campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. It was built in 1919 and serves today as a hall for students offering food, banking, computer use, study halls, a great meeting place and a bookstore.
Wells Castle or House in Detroit
The William H. Wells House Castle is located at 2931 East Jefferson Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. It was built in 1889 in the Romanesque Revival style by architect William Henry Miller. Today the Wells House Castle is a private home not open to the public.
Fair Lane in Dearborn
Fair Lane is located at 4901 Evergreen Road in Dearborn, Michigan. Fair Lane was built by Henry Ford in 1914-1916 and contains 56 rooms spread out over 31,000 square feet. Frank Lloyd Wright initially designed Fair Lane but it was completed by two other architects. Today Fair Lane is a National Historic Landmark open to the public for tours.
Grand Army of the Republic Castle in Detroit
The Grand Army of the Republic Castle is located at 1942 Grand River Ave in Detroit, Michigan. The building was built from 1887-1890 by the Grand Army of the Republic whose membership was limited to Union Civil War Veterans and the city of Detroit. Though listed on the National Register of Historic Places the building fell into disrepair but is being renovated today by Olympia Development which is owned by the Ilitch Family who also the Detroit Tigers and Red Wings.
Hoyt Library Castle in Saginaw
The Hoyt Library Castle is located at 505 Janes Avenue in Saginaw, Michigan. The Hoyt Library Castle was built in the late 1800's using money left to the city of Saginaw for building a public library by New York resident Jesse Hoyt in his will.
Beaumont Tower Castle at Michigan State University
The Beaumont Tower Castle is located on the campus of Michigan State University. The Beaumont Tower is 104 feet tall, houses a carillon of 49 bells and was designed and built by the architectural firm of Donaldson and Meier in 1928. Legend has it that students who kiss by the tower at midnight are destined to get married.
Henderson Castle in Kalamazoo
Henderson Castle is located at 100 Monroe Street in Kalamazoo, Michigan. It was built in 1895 by local businessman Frank Henderson in the Queen Anne architectural style. Today the Henderson Castle is a bed and breakfast inn and is also available for public tours on occasion.
Meadow Brook Hall in Rochester Hills
Meadow Brook Hall is located at 480 South Adams Road in Rochester Hills, Michigan. This huge 88,000 square foot home was built by Matilda Dodge Wilson from 1926-1929 and is one of the 10 largest homes in the United States. Today Meadow Brook Hall is owned by Oakland University and is open to the public for tours and is also available to rent out for weddings and special events.
Saginaw Water Works Castle
The castle-like Water Treatment Plant or Saginaw Water Works Castle is located at 522 Ezra Rust Drive in Saginaw, Michigan.
For more see Beautiful Castles in Ohio